Monday, June 2, 2008

5th Chemo


I had my 5Th Chemo on May 29Th a Tuesday. My doc reviewed my numbers and they were okay except for my red blood cell count which is getting dangerously low. I am now anemic. My number was 8 which makes me pretty low. If the number drops a drip more, I will need a transfusion. This will delay the chemo sessions. I am trying this week to make myself eat more red meat to get the blood count up. So far , I am doing okay. Eating more red meat than I have eaten in one week for years. I hope it works.


The taxol treatment was okay. They watch you closely for the first hour or so if there are any complications (like a dangerous drop in blood pressure) they will take place in the first hour. I got through the 5 hour drip okay. I got home and was okay. Til the next afternoon when the pain started. It seemed like all the muscles groups were aching. The pain was pretty severe. It also causes neuropathy in your hands and feet which I had in very painful proportions on a scale of 1-10 it was a `10 + for the next 3 days. I called the doc on Weds (the on call doc for the practice) and they finally sent me some meds the next day. I got a total of 8 hours sleep over the next 3 nights as my feet would not stop hurting. Since I have some neuropathy for the last 10 years this just added to it in a big way.


The muscle pains stopped with the meds but foot pain did not stop until Sunday night. So it looks like if there is a side effect I have a propensity to acquired it. Today my feet are almost back to normal. I know that Taxol had these possibilities but I never thought the pain would be so severe. I go back to doc tomorrow for blood tests to see if the red cell count is up and to check on my eye infection which seems to be clearing up okay.


I am trying to hang on and to decide if we should continue with the taxol treatments or go to another drug that is similar but not really tested on a long term basis. If I can put up with 3-4 days of pain I can deal with it but if it becomes progressively worse I am not sure I can deal with that level of pain for long periods of time. It wore me out. I did sleep Sunday night so I am able to function today. Thank God for that. Today, I have stopped taking all meds as I am pretty much back to normal.


I am still receiving all kinds of cards from so many places and they all have been placed around the bedroom. I am taking great strength from them and the prayers and well wishes within them. I know when I look at them , all of you are praying for me and that is such a wonderful thing to know. So thank you for all cards and thoughts. It means so very much to me.


It is already June. I have a friend from Maryland who is visiting with her family in Seattle coming for a day this week. Next month Cathi comes and will be here through August with the girls. Then other Maryland friends and family from Missouri will come over September and October so I will have some company and that should help give me more strength and support.


So, I just have to try to get myself through the next 3 chemos and the radiation treatments. I just trying to do it day by day. It is a long struggle but one I am going to get through and find healing on the other side.


Keep the prayers coming. I am great need of them as the dark hours I must still go through can only be gotten through on the strength of prayer. God bless you all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there mom! I love you.

mainely stitching said...

Oh, Pat! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mama Spark said...

Pat, you will be in my thoughts and prayers!! Have

Kristin Shields said...

Did they put you on Dexamethazone? That's what saved me with the taxol pain. It made a huge difference, though not perfect. The only problem was that it made me unable to sleep a whole lot, so I was pretty revved up for a couple of days during each treatment. I had tingling in my feet which got worse over time and they switched me to Taxotere for the last one. I'm glad to report that over the past 6 months all the nerve damage has gone away. I hope you do well with the next treatment. Take care.

verobirdie said...

I hope the next treatment will be better, and that your red cells are up, too.
I send you my best wishes from Marseille.
Hugs

Pascale said...

I know you are strong because I have benefitted from your strength many a time. Keep the faith. Peace be with you.